2013 Accord – Honda Motor Co. offered a peek at what the 2013 Honda Accord Coupe Concept, a mid-size sedan, will look like when it goes on sale in the fall.
The auto maker unveiled the the two-door version of the car that John Mendel, executive vice president of sales for American Honda, said will help the company bounce back from a difficult 2011, when the earthquake in Japan and flooding in Thailand disrupted production.
The Ford Fusion topped the Accord and competitors including the Hyundai Sonata last year in the U.S., though Toyota’s Camry remained the best-seller among mid-size sedans. Ford Motor Co. a day earlier at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit unveiled its redesigned Fusion, which also goes on sale in the fall.
Last year, Honda brand sales in the U.S. fell 7 per cent to about $1.02-million. This year, the auto maker aims to sell about 1.25 million vehicles in the U.S. Honda’s North American plants got back to normal production in November, but the company still is working to restore full production in Asia.
“They temporarily picked up a lap or two while we were in the pits,” Mendel said.
The Accord will be offered with new safety features such as Honda’s LaneWatch blind-spot display, which uses a camera system mounted on the passenger mirror.
The car will go on sale around the time Honda marks 30 years of Accord production in the U.S. The first Accord sedan to roll off the line in Marysville, Ohio, on Nov. 1, 1982 — on loan from Henry Ford Museum near Detroit — was displayed Tuesday at the show alongside the Coupe Concept.
Some of the Honda Accord features include three new powertrains, with a 2.4-liter engine that promises to deliver 181 horsepower, and a plug-in hybrid version. The six-cylinder version of the car will be the first Honda sedan to feature a new 6-speed automatic transmission.