Senator Barack Obama says he pledges to make America a global leader on energy. During his policy address today, Obama challenges conventional thinking and loosening the grip of special interests.
Obama says that bold steps need to combat global climate change, to free America from the tyranny of oil, and creating millions of new jobs with a new industry in America.
Senator Obama’s plan to make America a global leader on energy includes:
* Implementing an economy-wide cap-and-trade program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to the level recommended by top scientists to avoid calamitous impacts
* Investing $150 billion over the next ten years to develop and deploy climate friendly energy supplies, protect our existing manufacturing base and create millions of new jobs
* Dramatically improving energy efficiency to reduce energy intensity of our economy by 50 percent by 2030
* Reducing our dependence on foreign oil and reducing oil consumption overall by at least 35 percent, or 10 million barrels of oil, by 2030
* Leading a new international global warming partnership