Worst Excuses For Calling In Sick – What are some of the worst excuses for calling in sick to your boss? A recent survey of 2,400 employers and more than 3,000 workers came up with some surprising results. Some of the workplace calls are way out of the ordinary.
Though these reasons may sound extreme, or extremely stupid, the study found that more employees are making up excuses to play hooky from work. In total, 27% of employers surveyed believe that they have seen an increase in bogus excuses this year, which they attribute to stress and burnout from the tough economy. This finding coincides with other recent studies that show more workers are feeling overworked and underpaid at their jobs pursuant to excess layoffs from the recession.
However, the truly frightening statistic from the survey is that nearly 1 in 5 employers admit to investigating their employees when they suspect a bogus sick claim. So you may want to think twice before you lie about why you need a sick day. Here’s the full list of terrible excuses for taking a sick day.
1. Employee said a chicken attacked his mom.
2. Employee’s finger was stuck in a bowling ball.
3. Employee had a hair transplant gone bad.
4. Employee fell asleep as his desk while working and hit his head, causing a neck injury.
5. Employee said a cow broke into her house and she had to wait for the insurance man.
6. Employee’s girlfriend threw a Sit n Spin through his living room window.
7. Employee’s foot was caught in the garbage disposal.
8. Employee called in sick from a bar at 5:00 p.m. the night before.
9. Employee said he wasn’t feeling too clever that day.
10. Employee had to mow the lawn to avoid a lawsuit from the home owner’s association.
11. Employee called in the day after Thanksgiving because she burned her mouth on a pumpkin pie.
12. Employee was in a boat on Lake Erie and ran out of gas and the coast guard towed him to the Canadian side.