It was 5 Seconds Of Summer hair on fire for guitarist Michael Clifford as he was rushed to the hospital with burns to his face during a concert in Wembley, London. The Australian boy band was playing at the concert before their guitarist covers his face from the burns, according to US Magazine.
The 5 Seconds Of Summer guitarist, 19, got too close to a pyrotechnic display on stage. Clifford’s hair caught on fire before the show was cancelled early so the musician could seek medical attention.
Taking to Instagram hours later, Michael assured fans his condition was stable with a thumbs-up, although the left side of his face is now bandaged.
“Hello world. im doing ok :) thanks for worrying! (sic),” he captioned the photo. Sharing the same image on Twitter, he wrote: “Sorry I couldn’t finish the encore, but at least I look like two face. thanks for worrying every1 x (sic).”
The 5 Seconds Of Summer hair was on fire after Clifford was strumming his guitar during the band’s show at SSE Arena Wembley. Clifford was seen in a cloud of smoke that spread around his head.
The dark-haired musician ceased playing immediately, and rushed off the stage at once. Michael Clifford was performing their hit “She Looks So Perfect” at the time.
Moments later the band’s drummer Ashton Irwin addressed the concerned audience after they witnessed Michael’s hair catching on fire.
“Michael has hurt himself so we will not be continuing the show right now,” the 20-year-old said. “Just want to say thank you so much for coming. He is OK. You guys have been the best crowd we could ask for tonight. Thank you so much.”
Michael’s bandmate 5 Seconds Of Summer Calum Hood has also assured fans that Clifford is on the mend, tweeting: “No one ever wants to see your best friend in the state I saw mike backstage. He’s a trooper and is ok.”
An array of fans at the show immediately took to social media after seeing the incident on stage, with one Twitter user @ImIn5SOSLand writing: “MICHAELS HAIR GOT SET ON FURE AND GOT HURT THEY HAD TO CANCEL THE LAST SONG LMFG HOPE HES OKAY. I LOVE YOU MICHAEL (sic).”
The 5 Seconds Of Summer guitarist isn’t the only star who experienced such a mishap on the stage. In 1984 Michael Jackson’s hair was engulfed in flames when a stunt went badly wrong as he filmed an advert for drinks company Pepsi.
Three thousand fans watched as a firework display erupted behind Jackson, showering him in sparks and setting light to his hair. Jackson’s afro caught alight on the sixth take of the video in Los Angeles.
At first, unaware of the danger, Jackson continued to dance as he sang Billie Jean. Some studio audience members said he was so calm, they thought the incident was part of the act.
Metallica band member James Hetfield was also affected by a pyrotechnics accident in 1992 during the band’s tour with Gun’s N Roses in Montreal. During the performance of track “Fade To Black,” the musician was made the victim of second and third-degree burns after a pyrotechnic charge exploded.
It can be very dangerous playing with full pyrotechnics onstage. The 5 Seconds Of Summer guitarist’s hair was on fire for a moment, but it can still caused burns serious enough to be hospitalized.