Several Marilyn Monroe photos were stolen late Monday from its exhibition at the Prague Castle, according to a Alice Titzova of the PR agency 2media.
Titzova says mannequins and display cases which were part of the exhibition also disappeared. There was no word Wednesday whether the exhibition will be delayed or canceled.
The collection of various items including Monroe’s dresses, shoes, photographs and diaries was assembled by curators at the Salvatore Ferragamo museum in Florence, Italy last year to mark the 50th anniversary of Monroe’s death.
After Prague, the exhibition was to be moved to Tokyo.
The photos were reportedly stolen while being transported from Italy to the Czech Republic. The robbery appeared to be coordinated, according to curator Jan Trestik, who said a truck carrying artifacts was raided in the central Czech Republic along with other trucks carrying luxury goods from Italy.
Monroe became a major Hollywood symbol in the 1950s and early 1960s before she died of a barbiturate overdose in 1962. Since her death, she has endured as a global pop culture icon, routinely ranked among the greatest female stars of all time.