Natalie Wood Death Investigation Continues

Natalie Wood Death – Natalie Wood investigation continues. The case was reopened about 10 days ago.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said it was still investigating new information from multiple sources.

“Recently, we received information which we felt was substantial enough” to reopen the case, Lt. John Corina of the Sheriff’s Department said at a morning news conference here.

The untimely death of Mrs. Wood, on Nov. 29, 1981, in the waters off Santa Catalina Island, has persisted as a subject of Hollywood fascination. She had been staying on the yacht Splendour along with her husband, Robert Wagner, the actor Christopher Walken, and Dennis Davern, the boat’s captain.

Lieutenant Corina said that Mr. Wagner was not a suspect. It was ruled an accidental drowning, but has produced persistent speculation that was fed last year by a tell-all book, “Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour,” written by Mr. Davern and a co-author, Marti Rulli.

In the book, the authors described fierce arguments among those on the boat. In a Friday morning appearance on the “Today” show, Mr. Davern said he had earlier lied to authorities about what happened on the Splendour, and had urged the sheriff to reopen the case.

The sudden attention coincides with the approaching 30-year anniversary of the death of Natalie Wood and a planned re-examination of the case on the CBS true-crime show “48 Hours Mystery,” which on Saturday is scheduled to broadcast an episode based in part on an article that was published by Vanity Fair in 2000.