Baby Monitor Recall Linked To Two Deaths - Strangulation. Baby monitors made by Summer Infant were part of a major recall Friday that involved 2 million units. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the electrical cords on the monitors can be dangerous if placed too close to their cribs.
According to the commission, a 10-month-old girl from Washington, D.C., died in March when she strangled on the cord of a Summer Infant monitor camera that had been placed on the top of the crib rail. In November, a 6-month-old boy from Conway, S.C., strangled in the electrical cord of the unit placed on the changing table attached to his crib. The was also a 20-month-old boy from Pittsburgh who nearly strangled on a camera cord that was mounted to the wall in reach of the child.
“I urge all parents and caregivers to put at least 3 feet between any video or audio baby monitor cords and a child in a crib,” Commission Chairman Inez Tenenbaum said in a statement. “This simple step can save your child’s life,” In all, about 1.7 million units - more than 40 different models of handheld, digital and color monitors - are being recalled by Summer Infant, based in Woonsocket, R.I.
The company will provide new on-product warning labels and instructions about monitor placement. The monitors were sold at major retailers nationwide between 2003 and 2011. The commission first warned about the potential danger of monitor cords last October.
Add our Facebook page to receive updates and participate in new tools and features. It's a great way to stay connected with all the latest news.
Receive daily bite-sized updates by following us on Twitter. Receive Tweet-sized 140-character updates on your mobile phone device or PC.
Subscribe to our daily RSS feed to get the latest national news stories. We offer a feed for every topic including business, entertainment, health, politics, science & technology, travel and more.