Buckyballs Found In Toddler’s Stomach, 37 Of Them

A three-year-old toddler in Portland Oregon has survived 37 small high powered magnets known as Buckyballs.

After playing with the buckyballs, little Payton Bushnell had complained to her parents of feeling sick and her parents decided to take her to the hospital with what appeared to be flu-like symptoms.

An x-ray had shown something that had resembled a bracelet in Payton’s intestine’s but where actually 37 of the Buckyball magnets attached to each other.

While in her system the high powered magnets had snapped together and tore holes through her lower intestines and stomach, according to a nurse interviewed by KPTV in Oregon.

Doctor’s were able to successfully remove the magnets and Payton is excepted to make a full recovery.

The Buckyballs company advertises its product as adult stress relievers and not a children’s toy. Despite the fact that they are not for children, there has been several incident’s of children swallowing the magnets. Last year a California 6-year-old required surgery to remove the magnets he swallowed and several other cases report children swallowing magnets when they place two of them on their tongues to mimic a piercing.

Monday morning a statement on the companies website read; “Buckyballs was saddened to learn that a 3-year old girl in Oregon had swallowed high-powered magnets but we are relieved that she is expected to make a full recovery. This unfortunate incident underscores the fact that Buckyballs and Buckycubes are for adults. They are not toys and are not intended for children. We urge all consumers to read and comply with the warnings we place on all our products, on our website and in stores. Please keep these products out of the hands and reach of all children.”




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *