​New HIV Drug 2012 GlaxoSmithKline Given Priority Status By FDA

By: | Follow Twitter:
February 17, 2013
Follow: 2012, dolutegravir, Drug, Gilead Sciences, GlaxoSmithKline, HIV, New, New HIV Drug 2012

A new HIV drug has been given a priority status from 2012, referred to as dolutegravir, has been confirmed by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) because they believe it could offer better results.

New HIV Drug 2012

Made by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), the drug is most likely to face the final result by August 17th. It has been said that the drug, which falls under the category of medicines called integrase inhibitors, is suppose to be taken once a day. Owned by ViiV Healthcare, the treatment is majorly controlled by GSK, as part of a joint venture.

The drug application was filed on December 12, 2012, in order to bring the drug into Europe and Canada on the same day.

It is to be noted that in 2009, GSK and Pfizer had decided to collaborate their business of HIV/AIDS drugs, and it was then that Viiv was set up. The joint venture lines out 85% share to GSK, while remaining 15% is controlled by Pfizer.

The disease is caused by infection by a human immunodeficiency virus caused by an infection. During the initial infection a person may experience a brief period of influenza-like illness. This is typically followed by a prolonged period without symptoms.

As the illness progresses it interferes more and more with the immune system, making the person much more likely to get infections, including opportunistic infections, and tumors that do not usually affect people who have working immune systems.

It is expected that this new drug, if approved, could prove to be a touch competition to Gilead Sciences’ drugs, which offer commonly preferred treatments for HIV, in the times to come.