After an Ohio teen collapses after a five day gaming marathon from dehydration, his mother has taken away her son’s Xbox console to protect him from a growing epidemic.
Jessie Rawlins said her son, Tyler, 15, was taken to a nearby hospital after calling paramedics. He was immediately hooked up to IV fluids to treat dehydration.
“I was very scared,” Rawlins said. “I thought he was going to die.”
Tyler was playing the game Modern Warfare 3 and rarely left his bedroom during his marathon gaming session.
Dr. Mike Patrick, an emergency physician at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, told nbc4i.com that dehydration can be deadly.
“When you’re dehydrated, the amount of fluid in your entire body is decreased and that includes the fluid that’s in your blood vessels,” Patrick said. “So you have decreased blood volume. That leads to decreased blood pressure. When your blood pressure gets to a certain point, you’re unable to get enough blood up to the brain. If you’re not getting enough oxygen to the brain, that can cause you to pass out and it could cause you to die.”
Patrick said it’s also dangerous for gamers to stay awake for long periods of time without rest – the body will eventually shut itself down and you will pass out.
Rawlins said her son learned his lesson, and he’s accepted the consequences: “The Xbox is gone,” she said.
Another incident for an 18-year-old video gamer wasn’t so lucky after the teen collapsed and died in a Taiwan Internet cafe after playing the role-playing game Diablo 3 for 40 hours straight.
In the morning hours of July 15, the man known as Chuang which is his last name, was awakened by an attendant at the cafe after he found him asleep in the rented room. Reportedly, the man woke up, stood, took a few steps and then collapsed; he was rushed to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.