This is a list of the famous top 5 assassination attempts. There were many people injured or killed during these tragedies for trying to protect those who were shot at. Most of the assassins were caught and had to serve time or were executed.
1. Theodore Roosevelt had already served two terms as president when he decided to run for the office again. On October 14, 1912, he was campaigning in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and was about to give a speech when John Schrank shot at the former president. Roosevelt was indeed struck during the assassination attempt, but the projectile passed through his speech and eyeglass case.
2. Adolf Hitler was a victim of several assassination attempts, but one came close on July 20, 1944. The one chosen to attack Hitler was Claus von Stauffenberg who almost achieved his goral and was in command of the German Reserve Army. He planted a bomb that went off in a room, but Hitler escaped from the attic
3. Andrew Jackson would become the first (and only US President) to personally beat the crap out of their would-be assassin. On January 30, 1835, President Jackson was attending the funeral of a South Carolina Representative when Richard Lawrence fired two pistols at Jackson that misfired. The President charged at the man and began to beat him with his cane.
4. Ronald Reagan was targeted on March 30, 1981, as John Hinckley Jr. fired six shots. One hit Press Secretary James Brady, another struck Washington DC officer Thomas Delahaney, and another hit Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy. Two others hit the limousine and one ricocheted off the door of the limo traveling under Reaganâ€™s left armpit. As Nancy Reagan rushed to his side at the hospital, the famous president said, “Honey, I forgot to duck.”
5. Pope John Paul II entered St. Peter’s Square on May 13, 1981, when Turkish gunman Mehmet Ali Agca shot at him. The shots by the assassin hit his abdominal area. The Pope was hit in his abdominal area and spent 5 hours in surgery.