​Brothers Win Lottery, Blow Up House After Spending It On Meth

By: | Follow Twitter:
February 18, 2013
Also: Blow Up, Brothers, Brothers Win Lottery Blow Up House, House, Jackpot, Lottery, Win

They say anybody can win the lottery, but what happens when two brothers celebrate their jackpot by blowing up their house? That’s what happened when the two won $75,000 and spent it on marijuana and meth.

The explosion sent one of the brothers, a 27-year-old, to the hospital, where he remains in serious but stable condition with second-degree burns on his hands, arms and chest, according to Sgt. Bruce Watts of the Wichita Police Department.

The other brother was sent to jail, Watts said.

The brothers were in a house in the 100 block of North Nevada Court, near Douglas and West Street, about 7 p.m. Friday, Watts said. One of the brothers went to the kitchen to refuel the butane torches they planned to use to light their bongs. He emptied a couple of large cans of butane lighter fluid, leaking butane into the air.

“The butane vapor reached the pilot light in the furnace, and as you might expect, ka-boom,” Watts said.

The victim was wearing a lottery T-shirt during the explosion.

The victim’s girlfriend loaded him and some children into a car and took him to the Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis emergency room, where she dropped him off and left.

Officers went to the house with a warrant, where the other brother ran out, admitting he had marijuana and methamphetamine. He was arrested.