A Confederate battle flag that was momentarily on display at North Carolina’s former Capitol is coming down.
The controversial emblem was supposed to hang in the House chamber until April 2015, which is the 150th anniversary of the arrival of federal troops in Raleigh.
However, a decision was made to move it and an exhibit on the Civil War to another site.
“This is a temporary exhibit in an historic site, but I’ve learned the governor’s administration is going to use the old House chamber as working space,” Cultural Resources Secretary Susan Kluttz said Friday night. “Given that information, this display will end this weekend rather than April of 2015.”
Kim Genardo, a spokeswoman for Gov. Pat McCrory, told the Los Angeles Times on Saturday that the governor had been under the impression that the exhibit would be up for a short time. When he learned that the flag would be displayed until 2015, the decision was made to move it. She said the governor’s office had not received any complaints about the flag.