​IndyCar Race Boston Rift With Officials Leads Organizers To Look For Another City For Grand Prix

Author: Michael StevensBy:
Staff Reporter
May. 1, 2016

The IndyCar race in Boston won’t be happening anytime soon as organizers are now looking for a back-up city for the Grand Prix. The relationship between Boston officials and race promoters had gone foul, and both are pointing fingers at each other as to why this IndyCar event won’t work.

The race was originally scheduled to run on Labor Day using a 2.2-mile temporary street course around the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center. The Boston Globe reports that promoters signed a contract to hold the race there in 2016 with Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh that was renewable for up to four subsequent years.

However, that IndyCar race in Boston contract is now toast. President of the former Grand Prix of Boston group John Casey.

“The relationship between us and the city is not working. The relationship is untenable. […] I’m writing a book about this whole process. It’s so ridiculous, it’s hysterical,” Casey said. Casey claims that city officials had endless, unrealistic demands.

Most recently, a revised flood zone on the new new Federal Emergency Management Agency map of the area would have forced promoters to get a wetlands permit to complete some of the race-related construction, reports the Boston Herald.

Meanwhile, city officials have characterized the IndyCar race promoters as disorganized and unwilling to put the work in to make the Boston Grand Prix happen.

According to a statement from Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker in the Globe, several deadlines had already been extended to try and make the grand prix happen.

Tech company LogMeIn’s offices was located along the race route, and the company signed on early to be a major sponsor of therace. LogMeIn CEO Bill Wagner told the Globe that the race had already gained a broader appeal than he expected, and that all of its permitting woes and eventual cancellation doesn’t bode well for attracting other events to Boston: “t’s going to send a signal to other people trying to bring events to Boston. If anyone else brings an event to Boston, I’m sure they’re going to call IndyCar and ask what their experience was. I would hate to hear what that call was [like].”

However, as Boston’s NIMBY set celebrates this as a major victory, the IndyCar grand prix set for Labor Day may be heading to someone else’s backyard.

ESPN said that since the IndyCar race in Boston is now cancelled, the two back-up cities for the race have yet to be named, however, one is in New England. “They are both willing to do it without the headaches of Boston,” Casey said.

Tags: , ,

Share this article
Comments
Trending on NewsOXY
NewsOXY Editor's Picks
Popular Reads By NewsOXY Readers
Follow NewsOXY