The man, partially identified only by his immediate family name as Sur, was found dead by his co-workers at a quarry in North Chungcheong Province. Prof. Kim Hoon at Chungbuk National University, who examined the body, presumed the sudden death was caused by a mobile cellphone battery explosion.
“He was injured in the left side of his chest. His ribs and spine were broken. The explosion punctured his heart and lungs, leading to his death,” Kim said.
Sur’s family and co-workers said he had no chronic diseases. The victim was the first South Korean killed in such accidents. Reports indicate that the phone in question was manufactured by LG, a popular South Korean brand, and caused enough damage to directly cause SuhÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s death. It is presumed that pressure caused by the explosion damaged his heart and lungs, leading to his sudden death.
Local media said there have been 51 mobile cellphone battery explosions reported in South Korea since 2003.
An anonymous LG official stated that the cause of the manÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s death has not yet been confirmed, and that an exploding mobile phone battery is impossible due to the design of the batteryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s casing.