​Eiffel Tower Evacuated Amid Bomb Threat

By: | Follow Twitter:
March 30, 2013
Also: Bomb Threat, Eiffel Tower, Eiffel Tower Evacuated, Evacuated, Paris

The Eiffel Tower was evacuated after someone called in a bomb threat. About 1,400 people were sent away and roads blocked the tourist attraction.

Police then searched the monument with sniffer dogs, and set up a security perimeter.

No explosives were found and the site was to be reopened, the official said on condition of anonymity because she wasn’t authorized to speak publicly.

French authorities have stepped up counterterrorism measures in recent weeks amid heightened concern about threats to France over its military campaign against al-Qaida-linked fighters in Mali which began more than two months ago.

The tower is occasionally evacuated because of such warnings — at least once last year and twice in 2011.

The 324-meter (1,063-foot) tower is one of the world’s top tourist attractions, with millions of visitors a year.

News website Le Parisien reported that police said the threat was called in from a telephone booth in a Paris suburb.

Security has been stepped up across France amid concerns about threats to the country over its military campaign against Islamists in its former colony Mali.