Rudy Eugene’s Mother Says ‘My Son Was No Zombie’

Rudy Eugene’s mother says that her son was no zombie, in the aftermath of one of the more gruesome attacks ever, when he ate off the face of a Miami homeless man on the side of a road.

On Saturday, the 31-year-old Eugene was shot to death by a police officer after he was unresponsive to orders to stop the drug induced attack, on the now identified 65-year-old Ronald Poppo. Eugene had also ripped the clothes off of Poppo and chewed off 70 to 80% of his face and gauged out one of his eyes during the 18 minute attack.

Now Eugene’s mother is defending her son by saying he was a “nice kid” who did not have to be shot to death and questioned why a taser was not used, which she claims would have stopped the attack.

The officer in question said when he ordered Eugene to stop the attack, he just turned at him and growled like an animal before continuing the attack. The officer said he fired one shot at him, but it had no effect, not even causing him to slow down and then had to shot him several more times only having him stop the attack once he was dead.

Eugene’s mother asked that her name not be revealed when she told a CNN affiliate, WFOR that, “He was a good kid. He gave me a nice card on Mother’s Day. Everyone says he was a zombie. He was no zombie. That was my son.”

“They could have tased him,” she told WFOR. “I saw what happened on TV and I started crying.””

Meanwhile Eugene’s girlfriend who also wanted to be unidentified told WFOR, ““He loved God. He always read the Bible. He would give you knowledge on the Bible. Everywhere he went his Bible went. When he left he had his Bible in his hand.”

She added, “That wasn’t him, that was his body but it wasn’t his spirit. Somebody did this to him.”

“He was a nice, outgoing, ready-to-help-anybody kind of guy,” Cassandra Metayer, a high school friend of Eugene’s, told WFOR. “”Someone in their right mind doesn’t’ do that. This is not the act of a normal person. It has to be someone under the influence.”

The police said they were going to have to wait about a month or so to confirm that drugs were in Eugene’s system at the time when a toxicology report comes back. Meanwhile, Poppo, who was known to struggle with alcoholism, remains in critical condition and faces months of rehab and corrective surgeries if he pulls through.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *