Turkey Earthquake – Rescue workers searched for survivors under rubble in eastern Turkey on Thursday after the second earthquake in three weeks killed at least seven people, inflating the death toll of 600 from the previous tremor.
Search and rescue teams worked through the night in the city of Van, rescuing 25 people from the ruins of two hotels, said a statement from Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Administration (AFAD). Broadcasters said late on Wednesday at least 100 people could be trapped.
The owner of the flattened five-storey Bayram Hotel, Aslan Bayram, told broadcasters that building experts had given his 47-year-old building the all-clear after last month’s quake.
At the time of the quake, some 15 guests were believed to be in the hotel and some were pulled out on Thursday morning.
“I am cold. Rescue me quickly,” said a man who was aged around 55-60 years. Rescued from the Bayram Hotel 11 hours after the quake, he was strapped into a stretcher and carried away to a waiting ambulance.
The magnitude 5.7 earthquake, which struck 16 km (9 miles) south of Van at 1923 GMT (2:23 p.m. ET) on Wednesday, heaped suffering on a region which is in the early stages of recovery from last month’s tremor. Thousands of people are living in tents in freezing conditions.
An earthquake of such a magnitude would not normally cause significant damage but thousands of Turkey buildings sustained damage in last month’s quake.