Joan Jett replaces CeeLo for the 2014 Gretna Heritage Festival schedule after Green was sentenced to three years probation.
According to The Spreadit, CeeLo was booted from the Gretna Heritage Festival because of tweets that he posted. Last week, he tried to defend himself against rape allegations on Twitter. He has since removed the tweets and deleted his account.
Joan Jett and CeeLo Green were also supposed to headline another show later this year, but it has also been cancelled.
Joan Jett will take CeeLo Green’s place, according to the Gretna Heritage Festival schedule. The singer, rapper and record producer, famous for his work with the Goodie Mob and for the more recent R&B hit “F- You,” was scheduled to headline the festival’s main stage Sunday, Oct. 5.
Joan Jett originally played with The Heartbreakers before the two merged in the 1970s.
In October of 2013, the Los Angeles district attorney’s office announced it would prosecute CeeLo Green for allegedly giving a 33-year-old woman ecstasy without her knowledge. The incident is said to have occurred at a downtown L.A. restaurant in July 2012.
On Friday, Aug. 29, CeeLo Green pleaded no contest to a single count of furnishing a controlled substance. He was sentenced to three years of formal probation and ordered to complete 360 hours of community service, as well as 52 Alcoholics Anonymous and/or Narcotics Anonymous meetings.
As the Labor Day weekend progressed, the chart-topping soul singer, rapper and producer posted a series of tweets appearing to argue about the nature of consent and questioning his accuser’s memory.
CeeLo Green recently tweeted:
“Women who have really been raped REMEMBER … if someone is passed out they’re not even WITH you consciously so WITH Implies consent.”
The Joan Jett and CeeLo Green schedule change was made over the weekend. Early Tuesday morning, Salon reported, the former “Voice” judge tweeted a “non-apology apology” for his tweets, writing that he was sorry his comments were “taken so far out of context” and he “only intended on a healthy exchange to help heal those who love me from the pain I had already caused from this.”
CeeLo Green’s comments, according to the press release signed by Jefferson Parish councilman and festival co-chair Ricky Templet, were “not acceptable.”
“Our community does not condone these disparaging remarks delivered by Cee Lo Green, and we feel this entertainer does not represent what our festival is about and has achieved over the past 20 years.”
The Joan Jett and CeeLo Green announcement occurred after a bad weekend for the R&B singer. CeeLo not only learned that he was being replaced by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, the 39-year-old was also dumped by the United States Navy for their forthcoming benefit concert scheduled for September 20 in Washington, D.C.
In a statement the United States Navy said that they no longer want to be associated to CeeLo Green because “the comments posted on social media by Mr. CeeLo Green were completely inconsistent with Navy core values.”
“Unfortunately, one of the performers we signed for the JBAB Freedom Live show on 20 September recently posted comments on social media that we consider to completely inconsistent with Navy core values. Regardless of intent or context, the lack of sensitivity towards an issue that is one of the great challenges facing our Navy is unacceptable.”
As Joan Jett replaces CeeLo Green, a petition to cancel his performance had been posted on the change.org site earlier this week. Reports also surfaced earlier this week that Green’s television show The Good Life has been cancelled. The show has been canned by TBS, with a network source claiming it suffered low ratings.
Prior to the Joan Jett and CeeLo announcement, Green left the NBC show “The Voice.” Insiders speculate that it was a mutual agreement between the singer and producers of the show.
Image Credit: https://www.nydailynews.com/