Katie Holmes Play Closes After Bad Broadway Earnings

Katie Holmes had just spent the past two weeks promoting her new play, “Dead Accounts,” but now her Broadway show will shut down as it closes early ahead of schedule.

The play opened at the Music Box Theatre to mixed reviews on November 29, and it’s also been a rough month for Holmes is divorcing husband Tom Cruise.

The announcement also caps a rough week for the actress, after news broke that her ex-hubby spent the evening grinding with a hot restaurant manager at a Chinatown night club on Dec. 18 - the same date as Holmes’ 34th birthday.

“She’s a recognizable name but not necessarily a surefire box office draw,” said Entertainment Weekly theater editor Thom Geier. “To hang this entire production on her celebrity was a risky move.”

Geier added, “She wasn’t helped by the fact that the show got good, but not great, reviews, and that it came out in a crowded field right now.”

The Broadway show grossed only $243,154 for the week ending Sunday - a drop of roughly 28% from the previous week.

It’s a disappointing finish for a comedy that had been expected to take Broadway by storm given its star power, but was not well-received by many critics.

The play was written by “Smash” creator Theresa Rebeck and directed by three-time Tony Award winner Jack O’Brien.

“Holmes was famous for being Mrs. Tom Cruise and she’s not even that anymore,” a Broadway insider said.

“If she can’t keep a Broadway play open for 16 weeks at a small theater, what’s next for her? It’s not good.”

Holmes made her Broadway debut in the 2008 production of “All My Sons.”

Producer Jeffrey Finn said he is “extremely proud of this production and the cast” in a statement released Friday.

“Theresa Rebeck and Jack O’Brien have created an inspiring and hilarious new play and we are all sad to see ‘Dead Accounts’ end on Broadway. I look forward to working with this remarkably talented cast and creative team again very soon.”

Follow Us