​New Indiana Jones Movie Gives Disney Right To Reboot Popular Film Franchise

Author: Michael StevensBy:
Staff Reporter
May. 6, 2015

The new Indiana Jones movie is on the way as Disney has permission and the rights to reboot the franchise, and a project has been confirmed by Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, according to IGN. While there are things about to take place with Star Wars, there are new things happening with another Harrison Ford film. The franchise is set to release a sequel.

“Disney got the rights to all Luscafilm properties when it purchased the company back in 2012,” Kennedy said. “Indiana Jones is another big prize and we look forward to another indy movie one day that will be made inside the company. When it will happen, I’m not quite sure. We haven’t started working on a script yet, but we are talking about it,” Kennedy added.

While the further adventures of everyone’s favorite fedora-sporting professor have been anticipated since Disney and Paramount brokered the financial deal in 2012, this is the first official confirmation from Kennedy and the House of Mouse.

Kennedy’s statement is a much more optimistic and concrete version of what Disney chairman Alan Horn said last year.

“We haven’t done anything,” Horn said. “We don’t have a story. We need a story.”

The new Indiana Jones movie has a lot of people excited, but while there’s still no word on which rumored hunk might wear the fedora next, Kennedy and everyone else working at the higher level is clear that the sequel will need a script.

And who better to find that script than Kennedy, who served as Indiana Jones director Steven Spielberg’s trusted executive producer on all of his projects from 1982-2012? Once Kennedy has all cylinders firing in space, she can turn her attention from the sands of Jakku to the dust of Indy’s next dig.

Since Lucasfilm’s already got Harrison Ford on-board for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, it wouldn’t be a big surprise if he comes back as Dr. Jones in the movie. It actually makes more sense to have Harrison Ford return, according to Gamespot News. It’s also possible that Kennedy is making these hints to drum support on such a big project.

The new Indiana Jones movie was first mentioned about six months ago as a rumor. At the time it was suggested that a young-upstart would replace Harrison Ford in the iconic role, and the likes of Bradley Cooper and Robert Pattinson were suggested as possible replacements for the world’s most famous archaeologist. Cooper would probably get most votes, but it would be with a heavy heart.

While it’s almost impossible to picture anybody else other than Harrison Ford wearing Indy’s infamous fedora and carrying his whip, it kind of would make sense if The Fugitive, American Graffiti and Star Wars actor graciously stepped aside to let someone else have a crack at the part.

There was even a time when it was teased that the series could be completely refashioned in the mold of James Bond so that a younger audience could fall in love with the characters, exotic locations and daring missions to unearth the myriad of hidden treasures that are dotted around the globe.

But as he Harrison Ford is 72-years-old, and currently in the midst of reprising his role as Han Solo for J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: Episode VII, one could easily see Ford declaring that it’s time to pass the torch.

Back in March it was reported that a date is already in mind for a new Indiana Jones movie, and that there are plans for Ford to be included. However, if the film wasn’t moving forward by that point, the rumor said that the studio could recast a younger Dr. Jones and start working on a whole new trilogy.

The new Indiana Jones movie may or may not include Harrison Ford. It also has no timeline or script, notes News Max. All that we know is that Indiana Jones 5 is apparently happening, and that’s good news for fans.

Share this article
Comments