Pink Floyd Officially Breaks Up: David Gilmour Announces Break Up From Legendary Band

Pink Floyd Officially Breaks Up

Pink Floyd officially breaks up after announcing a new album, The Endless River, to be released later this year. Guitarist David Gilmour stated that the legendary band is done for good, according to Death And Taxes.

Pink Floyd had originally split 20 years ago, but continued with some of the few surviving members who was still associated with the group. Breaking up wasn’t quite a new beginning for the band, even though they are releasing a new album from tracked culled from the sessions that produced 1994’s The Division Bell.

Pink Floyd officially breaks up while releasing a new album that is intended as a tribute to keyboardist Rick Wright. In those 20 years, the band has only performed a handful of times–mostly at charity events–and hasn’t written or recorded any new songs since The Division Bell.

“I’ve had 48 years in Pink Floyd – quite a few of those years at the beginning, with Roger [Waters]. And those years in what is now considered to be our heyday were 95% musically fulfilling and joyous and full of fun and laughter. I certainly don’t want to let the other 5% color my view of what was a long and fantastic time together. But it has run its course, we are done – and it would be fakery to go back and do it again,” Gilmour said.

Pink Floyd has not really existed since Pulp Fiction was in theaters. As such, longtime guitarist David Gilmour figures the time is right to say “this is the end” for the venerable group.

“Obviously I accept there are people who want to go and see and hear this legend that was Pink Floyd, but I’m afraid that’s not my responsibility. To me, it’s just two words that tie together the work that four people did together. It’s just a pop group. I don’t need it. I don’t need to go there,” says Gilmour.

Breaking up is never good for any band, but this group is quite different. Most of their songs were written about Syd Barrett, best known as a founder member of the band and is credited with naming the group.

Fans can rest assured that, while the band that hasn’t existed in two decades will now continue to not exist in perpetuity, it’s music will still comprise 40 percent of every classic rock radio station’s playlist.

Pink Floyd officially breaks up quietly, and without any formal announcement by the band itself. However, it can’t exist without Gilmour, and he is pretty much done with the project.

Image Credit: https://consequence.net/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *