​Man Too Fat Morgue: Overweight Man Deemed ‘Too Fat’ For Preservation

By: | Follow Twitter:
June 20, 2021

A man who is too fat after death can’t get into the morgue, at least that’s the case in Western Australia. It seems the morgue refused the man’s body because it weighed 440 pounds, much larger than what the morgue can handle. The current facility doesn’t have the resources for the man’s body, which is how this story gets interesting. The man’s body was unable to fit inside a compartment for preservation purposes. The morgue told the funeral home to make other arrangements, which has created scrutiny.

On June 20, The Inquisitr reported that the morgue was looking into new equipment that can handle bodies that weigh up to 660 pounds. “Without being able to fit the man’s body into the appropriate compartment for preservation purposes, the morgue was forced to refuse the body, stirring an awful lot of controversy,” the site said. Hedland Health Campus is now under fire from all angles.

Joanne Cummings, the co-owner of Pilbara Funeral Services in Port Hedland, said the Hedland Health Campus had refused to take the bodies of two large people in the past year after claiming it did not have the equipment to accept bodies of such size.

Cummings spoke on the matter saying:

“[A staff member] walked out and looked at this gentleman in the back of the car and said: ‘He’s too fat, he can’t go in the fridge’. You can’t say things like that. It’s a load of crap … I could probably put a baby elephant in one of those fridges and it’d fit through the door, and they’re refusing entry for a human being.”

According to the Examiner, a baby elephant is much smaller than the large man. “Cummings didn’t realize at the time that an elephant baby is about the weight of a large, but not extra large man,” the site said. This refusal made for some eerie arrangements for a funeral director who was stuck storing the dead man’s body in a hearse overnight.

Cummings said the latest incident occurred on Wednesday last week, when she was forced to drive two hours home with the corpse in her car before alternative arrangements could be made to store the body. With temperatures hitting 82, she turned the air conditioning up as high as possible to keep the deceased cool during the two hour journey. Then, once back, she kept her engine running throughout the night - using up three tanks of gas - before she could hire a chilled shipping container the following morning.

Western Australia Country Health Service Regional Director Ron Wynn said the facility will invest in the new equipment so that this problem doesn’t happen again in the future.

“It’s imperative that at all times a deceased person is treated with the utmost care and respect and viewings are arranged so as not to cause distress and inconvenience to grieving families,” Wynn said. “We endeavor to do this in all WA Country Service hospitals.”