​SeaTac Airport Security: TSA Arrests Man For Dodging Security​​

November 10, 2021

SeaTac airport authorities have arrested an unarmed man after running past a security checkpoint Friday night, just hours after the airport observed a moment of silence in honor of slain TSA officer, Gerardo Hernandez.

SeaTac Airport Security

Transportation Security Administration officers chased the man initially and Port of Seattle police quickly responded. TSA agents and police officers eventually tackled the man and arrested him on board an empty airplane that he had broken into.

According to CNN the incident started about 8:30 p.m. PST. The man was seen sprinting through a security checkpoint at concourse D.

He then ran down the concourse and out onto the airport tarmac. Once the man was on the tarmac, he raced up a stairway and punched through a window in a door at the end of a jetway connecting an empty American Airlines plane with the terminal, said Perry Cooper, a spokesman for Sea-Tac Airport. After breaking through a window, the man crawled through the broken glass and onto the plane, which was not occupied.

The unidentified man ran through concourse D of Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. He then ran out onto the airport tarmac. The Seattle-Tacoma Airport was the 15th busiest airport in the U.S. in 2012.

“He had to be tackled to the ground,” Cooper said.

He was arrested inside an American Airlines plane after a short struggle. Police said he would be booked for investigation of trespass and assault of an officer. The plane was being checked for anything suspicious before returning to service, Cooper said.

Just hours before the man was arrested, TSA officers at airports around the nation observed a poignant moment of silence to honor Gerardo Hernandez, the Transportation Security Administration officer killed by a gunman at Los Angeles International Airport on Nov. 1. Operations were halted at hundreds of U.S. airports at 9:20 a.m. PST - the same time Hernandez was shot and killed last week.

The arrested man suffered minor injuries. The spokesman said officers were unhurt. He added that the man may have been under the influence of drugs and was not armed.

The man has been taken into custody. No other airport operations were affected.

An American Airlines representative could not be reached for comment. Seattle-Tacoma International Airport was the 15th busiest airport in the U.S. in 2012.