The search continues for a 6-year-old Arizona girl as volunteers passed out more fliers across Tucson and the FBi has sent scent-sniffing dogs to help. Law enforcement officials are trying to figure out if first-grader Isabel Mercedes Celis was abducted, and even though at least two search warrants had been served, there are no developing clues in the girl’s disappearance. Tucson police chief Roberto Villasenor said the girl’s parents, identified by friends as Becky and Sergio Celis, were helpful and cooperative as police worked on the case.
However, Villasenor said police were still classifying the case as a “suspicious disappearance/possible abduction.”
“We’re not ruling anything out of the investigation at this point because we really need to keep our mind open about all the information that’s been brought to us,” he said. “The family has been cooperating with us.”
Officers kept the whole neighborhood block where Isabel lives cordoned off for a second day and fanned out over a wide area looking for clues to the possible kidnapping.
The Celises last saw their daughter in her bedroom at their Tucson home at 11 p.m. Friday and discovered her missing at about 8 a.m. Saturday, police spokeswoman Sgt. Maria Hawke said. The parents phoned 911 minutes later.
Mary Littlehorn, who has worked with Becky Celis as a registered nurse at Tucson Medical Center for five years, said the couple has been together since they were teenagers and doted on their sons and daughter. She said Isabel, whose nickname is Isa, loved to play baseball and dance; the girl was supposed to play in a baseball game Saturday.