​Paris Attacks Suspect Sought By World Authorities After International Warrant Issued

Author: Jennifer HongBy:
Staff Reporter
Nov. 16, 2015

Paris Attacks - One of the masterminds behind the attacks, a Belgium-born French national, is being sought by French authorities in Paris after the country issued an international warrant for his arrest. Belgian and French officials want to know where Salah Abdeslam is, according to USA Today.

French police in Paris released his photo and warned people not to interact with him, saying that he is dangerous. Investigators haven’t said much about how they believe Abdeslam is tied to Friday’s series of attacks and explosions in the French capital.

Jean-Pascal Thoreau, a spokesman for Belgium’s Federal Prosecutor, said Abdeslam is one of three brothers suspected of involvement in the attacks. One of the brothers was killed in the attacks, and another was arrested by Belgian police, Thoreau said.

Paris attacks update: Warrant issued for Salah Abdeslam

Salah Abdeslam had been questioned by French police earlier but was not detained, a source close to the investigation into the Paris attacks said. He was driving in the direction of the Belgian border when stopped by police and questioned a few hours after the attacks, the source said. Now, his whereabouts are unknown.

There have been more than 150 police anti-terror raids carried out in cities across France since Friday. Twenty-three people are in custody and weapons, including a rocket launcher, and IT equipment have been seized.

French fighter jets struck ISIS targets in the Syrian city of Raqqa on Sunday in what officials called a major bombardment and analysts described as a retaliatory move. Authorities made a number of arrests linked to the attacks in Belgium, and investigators homed in on an abandoned car with weapons found in eastern Paris.

Two days after the Paris attacks, the French capital is a city in mourning — and on edge — with key questions looming: Do suspects remain at large? Could another attack be in the offing? And how will France and other countries respond?

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins described him as a 29-year-old French citizen with a criminal record from the southern Paris suburbs. The attacker, who was involved in the assault and hostage-taking at the Bataclan concert hall, was identified by fingerprints and was believed to have been radicalized in 2010 but had never been accused of terrorism, Molins said.

Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre, the Paris prosecutor’s spokeswoman, told CNN that six people — all family relatives of Mostefai — have been detained. It is common practice in criminal cases in France to place family members in custody. Mostefai’s relatives have not been charged or arrested.

The Paris attacks killed at least 129 people and wounded more than 350 others, many of them seriously. The Islamic terror group ISIS has claimed responsibility for the slaughter, which France’s President described as “an act of war.”

Tags: , , ,

Share this article
Comments