​Japan Earthquake Survivors Trapped in Rubble As Aftershocks Continue In Region

Japan Earthquake
Author: Kara GilmourBy:
Staff Reporter
Apr. 16, 2016

Two Japan earthquakes have hit the region, emergency crews are still scrambling to rescue survivors trapped in rubble as aftershocks continue in the region

At least 32 people died in the latest Kyushu earthquake, according to Kumamoto Prefecture’s disaster management office. The magnitude-7.0 quake hit early Saturday local time.

Two days earlier, a 6.2. quake rattled the area, killing nine people. The combined death toll is at 41. Both earthquakes left 968 people injured, according to the disaster management office.

The latest and most powerful earthquake struck near the city of Kumamoto. It toppled buildings, collapsed bridges and shredded structures into piles of debris.

At least 23 people are buried inside buildings, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said.

Japan earthquakes hit region as aftershocks continue

Japan earthquakes hit region as aftershocks continue

Residents were already reeling from the effects of the earthquake that hit Thursday near Ueki city, just 15 kilometers away.

“The first earthquake was very big,” said Osamu Yoshizumi, the senior chief of international affairs in Kumamoto. “We thought it was the big one.”

That initial earthquake was a “foreshock” to the latest one, according to USGS.

Kumamoto prefecture continues to experience as many as 165 aftershocks.

“I feel every aftershock,” said Yoshizumi, who was working from the city hall building in Kumamoto. “It’s swaying here every hour.”

The aftershocks could hamper rescue efforts as emergency workers attempt to pull people trapped in the rubble. TV Asahi showed crews crawling over a collapsed roof in an attempt to find an elderly couple. An 80-year-old man was pulled from the rubble, according to CNN affiliate TV Asahi.

Japan has deployed 20,000 self-defense forces to the rescue effort, Suga said.

The tremors appear to have caused extensive damage, overturning cars, splitting roads and triggering a landslide as shown by TV Asahi footage. Television images showed flattened houses, shards of broken glass and debris piled onto the streets and people huddled outside. Nearly 92,000 people have evacuated, according to the prefecture’s disaster management office.

The Kumamoto government has opened over 100 evacuation centers for residents and have started handing out food, water and blankets, Yoshizumi said.

Kumamoto Castle, a famous site in Japan built in the early 17th century, is badly damaged, he said.

The Red Cross treated more than 1,000 people in the Kumamoto area Friday, but the organization anticipates the number will increase following Saturday’s earthquake.

“The most serious [patient] cases were cut by glasses or the collapse of some houses,” said Nobuaki Sato, director of the International Relief Division at the Japanese Red Cross.

“We don’t know what is happening in the whole disaster area because it is a remote mountain area and some big bridges were down and many landslides were found so we were working around the clock and are making assessments. But so far the road access is not easy to the remote areas.”

Japan’s Fire and Disaster Management Agency said 7,262 people have sought shelter since Friday in the Kumamoto Prefecture.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe had intended to visit Kumamoto on Saturday, but called off his visit. His office said that the prime minister would instead spearhead efforts from Tokyo. The country’s air force will send six planes and nine ships to Kumamoto to deliver food, blankets and all emergency necessities.

Japan received offers of support from other nations.

Tags: , ,

Share this article
Comments