A frozen vegetable recall has been issued for the second time this month on fifteen products sold at Costco and Meijer stores. Washington-based CRF Frozen Foods says it is recalling the products as a precaution after determining they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
So far, no illnesses have been reported from deadly contamination as a result of eating the vegetables, according to Patch. Listeria monocytogenes is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The frozen vegetable recall covers certain True Goodness by Meijer, Wellsley Farms Organic, Organic By Nature, and Schwan’s frozen vegetables, the Food and Drug Administration reports. The products were sold between Sept. 13, 2015 and Marc 16 in 35 states and Canada. Consumers are urged to take the packages back to the store where they were purchased for a refund or discard them.
Listeria monocytogenes was found to be present in one lot of Individually Quick Frozen (IQF) organic petite green peas and one lot of IQF organic white sweet cut corn, KWQC noted.
Listed below are details regarding the recalled items with label, size, item, UPC, and use by date:
- True Goodness By Meijer - 10 oz. Organic Petite Green Peas - 713733430999 - 11/26/2017
- True Goodness By Meijer - 10 oz. Organic White Sweet Corn - 713733430982 - 11/21/2017
- Wellsley Farms Organic - 4 lb. Organic Mixed Veg - 888670010136 - 10/25/2017
- Wellsley Farms Organic - 4 lb. Organic Green Peas - 888670009970 - 2/10/2021
- Wellsley Farms Organic - 4 lb. Organic Green Peas - 888670009970 - 2/15/2018
- Organic By Nature – Canada - 2.5 kg. Organic Green Peas - 846358000619 - 10/22/2017
- Organic By Nature – Canada - 2.5 kg. Organic Green Peas - 846358000619 - 12/3/2021
- Organic By Nature – Canada - 2.5 kg. Organic Green Peas - 846358000619 - 3/16/2018
- Organic By Nature - 4 lb. - Organic Green Peas - 846358000695 - 10/25/2017
- Organic By Nature - 5 lb. - Organic Green Peas - 846358000633 - 2/15/2018
- Organic By Nature – Canada - 2.5 kg. - Organic Green Peas - 846358000619 - 3/16/2018
- Organic By Nature - 5 lb. - Organic Veg Medley w/ Shelled Edamame - 846358000657 - 2/11/2021
- Organic By Nature - 4 lb. - Organic White Supersweet Corn - 846358000701 - 11/19/2017
- Organic By Nature - 5 lb. - Organic White Supersweet Corn - 846358000640 - 9/13/2017
- Schwan’s - 16 oz. - Organic SS Yellow & White Cut Corn - 007218060433 - 2B5320
FDA officials say the frozen vegetable recall products were distributed to retailers and distribution centers between September 13, 2021 and March 16th, 2016 in the following states, and may be redistributed in other states nationwide: AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, LA, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, MT, NV, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan of Canada.
CBS News said consumers are urged not to consume these products. Consumers who purchased these products may take them back to the store where they purchased them for a refund or simply discard them.